Saturday, May 14, 2011

Days you don't feel like writing.

You ever had one of those unproductive days? I did...These past couple days have been really bad for me. Between a loss in work and personal things, writing hasn't been at the front of my mind like it should. There are ways to combat the lack of enthusiasm. Here's what I've been doing to get back in the writing mood.

Write a book.

I have been working on a short story for sometime. I find that when I write a little more of the book, I inspire myself to keep the momentum going. The best part about writing a book is that I can write whatever I want to. In other words, I'm not required to write about a certain subject or make the story go in a certain way. I can change the whole plot of my story as much as I want.

Take a short break.

Take a break for a day or two. No one in the real working world wants to work 7 days a week--neither should you. Give yourself that weekend break; even if it is on a Tuesday. You should be staying active when you are taking a break. You can go for a walk, grab something to eat or watch a movie. Your mind needs that time to refresh and think about other things.

Read something.

This is a good way to inspire yourself to write. I find that when I read other's writings, I feel inspired to create something of an equal caliber. So many ideas float around in my head when I'm reading that it is hard to narrow my focus down and commit to write about one idea. I tend to read a lot of guides about how to improve my writing, how to create websites, blogging ideas, how to market myself as a freelancer, and the list goes on.

Play a game

Not necessarily a video game, but any game that can stipulate your mind. Playing a game will give your mind the break it needs from writing, and it will also prevent you from getting burned out. I like to play games like online chess, speed typing, and various puzzle games.

Writing can be hard, especially if you do it for a living. There is always a chance to get burned out in this profession. It is important to be able to recognize when you are getting burned out, and do things to help you relax from a busy day.

Storytelling reveals meaning without committing the error of defining it.  ~Hannah Arendt

1 comment: